Software Development 101
20 January, 2020 - 2 min read
Great software comes from great teams composed of great developers. That doesn’t just happen accidentally - the team intentionally comes together to produce an amazing product.
As a software developer, I often think about how to improve my output and add more value. Hopefully this quick writeup helps you consider what to look for when hiring a software developer for your next project.
Qualities of great software:
- User experience is at the heart of the development process.
- Performance is paramount - no one likes a slow experience.
- The codebase is built to scale along with business growth.
- Secure against known threats.
- Has a comprehensive test and monitoring suite.
- Well documented so that others can contribute and so that you don’t have a single point of failure if the main developer leaves.
Qualities of a great software developer:
- Remains teachable and is a quick learner.
- Great team player - we all build projects together.
- Growth-oriented mindset.
- A positive attitude ensures that they are pleasant to work with and generally is an indicator that they will give it their all each day.
- Excellent communication skills, including being able to explain complex systems to departments that may not have the same technical knowledge.
- Enjoys being in the weeds of things, because that’s most certainly where developers live!
- Time and task management: able to focus and close off one project at a time while keeping the larger context in mind.
If you’re interested in working with me, here’s what I can offer:
- Software development and integration consulting.
- Front end and back end website development work.
- Agile, test-driven development with a focus on user experience.
- Month-to-month contracts to ensure that I have to earn your business each month.
- Ongoing service contracts for infrastructure and maintenance.